News About Fall 2021 - Spring 2022 HDE Practicums (updated 6/4/21)
Fall 2021 HDE 140L Practicum
Update 6/4/21: All sections are currently full with long wait lists.
This is a 4 unit, in-person course consisting of a 2 hour weekly discussion and 7 hours of weekly, in-person field work with young children in the UC Davis Center for Children & Family Studies (CCFS) Early Childhood Lab (ECL). View the ECL's website for details, including required vaccines and safety precautions.
HDE 140L is the only offered practicum in Fall 2021 and has three section options:
- Section 001 Infant/Toddler:
- Discussion: R 1:10-3:00P
- Lab Time Options: MW 8:30-12:00P or TR 8:30-12:00P
- Sections 002 & 003 Preschool:
- Discussion: R 4:10-6:00P
- Lab Time Options: MW 8:15-11:45A, MW 12:30-4:00P, TR 8:15-11:45A, or TR 12:30-4:00P
- How to Request HDE 140L Practicum for Fall 2021 (not in Schedule Builder) For complete details, refer to Rachael Crotty’s 4/30/21 email sent to the HDE listserv.
- Ensure eligibility: Must be declared HDE, upper division standing, completed HDE 100A or plan to take concurrently in Fall 2021 and have a current, HDE-approved graduation plan in OASIS.
- Submit request via the Google Form on 5/5/21 beginning at 8am or as soon as possible thereafter. The link is in the 4/30/21 email and will be in all subsequent reminders. Please read email and all attachments prior to submitting Google Form.
- Placement status notifications will be emailed to students from Rachael Crotty and Kelly Twibell beginning the week of 5/10/21.
- CRN: CRNs will be provided much later after CCFS onboarding is complete. Kelly Twibell will provide details in her email notification to approved students.
- If your Pass 1 occurs prior to admittance into HDE 140L, you are encouraged to register for a placeholder course that you can drop later if placed in the practicum, or that you want to keep in the event you were not placed in HDE 140L.
Human Development requires the completion of one 4 unit HDE practicum course. Each of the four offered practicums (HDE 140L, 141, 142 and 143) cover different age groups from infancy to older adults and are offered throughout the regular academic year in fall, winter and spring (never offered in summer and modified for 2020-21 per blue box above). All practicums require an on-campus classroom lecture and/or discussion and field work hours (internship) at an approved site. (When shelter-in-place orders are in effect, the courses and required field site participation will be altered accordingly as per Department guidelines).
- Have a recent and approved graduation plan in OASIS (within 1 year from the beginning of the requested practicum) – refer to “Important Notice” below for more details
- Submit a request for practicum via a Google Form, which will be *emailed to the HDE listserv one week prior to the start of Pass 1 appointments
- Be notified of placement in practicum by Internship Coordinator approximately 1 week after Google Form closes
- Attend mandatory information session.
- If applicable, find and secure approved field site, complete background and health clearance, if required by field site (if shelter-in-place orders are in effect, alternate arrangements will be shared with all placed students).
- Submit completed contract/paperwork to Internship Coordinator by deadline, receive CRN in return
- Register in Schedule Builder with CRN by deadline (first day of class)
*Detailed instructions and links will be emailed to the HDE listserv approximately 2-4 weeks and again one week prior to the start of Pass 1. As always, only declared HDE juniors and seniors will be eligible to request placement (refer to HDE 143 for exception to being declared).
- HDE 140L (previously HDE 140/140L) "Laboratory in Early Childhood" involves working with infants, toddlers and preschool children at CCFS which is the UC Davis child development center located at 244 First St. (between A & B St.). This practicum requires 7 hours a week working with children at the center, and is offered all three quarters: fall, winter and spring. HDE 140L is a 4.0 unit letter-graded course.
The newly revised HDE 140L practicum includes on-campus discussion (formerly HDE 140) and field site hours. The CRN to register for this course will be given to placed students after the request and placement process have been completed.
*To request HDE 140L, follow the instructions in the emails that are sent to the HDE listserv prior to the start of Pass 1 appointments. After submitting your request via Google Forms, you’ll be notified of your placement status (placed or wait listed). For placed students, CCFS staff will instruct you to submit additional required forms and to confirm your lab time slot before providing you with the CRN. If you have particular questions about how the course is implemented, you may contact CCFS directly.
Note: HDE 140L is offered remotely in a modified format in 2020/2021; an alternative to in-person field site hours will be required.
*HDE 140/140L Course Structure Change: The structure of the HDE 140 + HDE 140L practicum has changed. Effective Winter 2021, this revised practicum course will simply be called “HDE 140L: Laboratory in Early Childhood," which includes discussion and field work, and is a 4.0 unit letter graded course. If you took and passed HDE 140 + 140L in F20 or earlier or HDE 140L in W21 or later, then you satisfied your practicum requirement.
- HDE 141 involves working with children in K-12th grades, and usually involves working in a school setting as a teacher’s assistant. This practicum has a mandatory weekly on-campus classroom lecture in addition to off-campus field work (internship), and is offered in fall and spring (a smaller science teaching section is also offered in either winter or spring as indicated by the quarterly course schedule). HDE 141 is a letter-graded, variable unit (4.0-6.0) course.
*To request HDE 141, see below. Note: This course will not be offered in 2020/2021.
- HDE 142 involves working with emotionally distressed children and adolescents, typically in a 1st -12th grade setting. HDE 142 consists of a weekly on campus classroom discussion as well as an off-campus field site (internship). Field sites typically are in 1st –12th grade classroom settings or in programs working with at-risk youth. This practicum is offered in winter, and is a letter-graded variable unit (4.0-6.0) course.
*To request HDE 142, see below. Note: This course will not be offered in 2020/2021.
- HDE 143 involves working with the older adult population. HDE 143 consists of a weekly on campus classroom discussion as well as an off-campus field site (internship). Field sites typically are at senior living communities or in senior health settings. This practicum is offered every winter, and is a letter-graded variable unit (4.0-6.0) course.
An exception to being declared in the HDE major may be available if space allows. If you are completing the Aging and Adult Development minor AND you’ve taken the pre-requisite class(es), you may submit a request to sign-up for this practicum by contacting the HDE Internship Coordinator directly. Placement is not guaranteed as priority must be given to declared HDE students.
*To request HDE 143, see below. Note: This course will not be offered in 2020/2021.
*To request HDE 141, HDE 142 and HDE 143, follow the instructions in the emails that are sent to the HDE listserv prior to the start of Pass 1 appointments. They will also be included in weekly newsletters leading up to Pass 1. After submitting your request via Google Forms, you’ll be notified of your placement status (placed or wait listed). The following will be altered if shelter-in-place orders are in effect: Placed students who receive a spot in this practicum must meet in person for a mandatory group information session where you’ll receive additional instructions and resources for finding and securing an appropriate field site. To receive the CRN and to finalize your registration in the practicum, you must secure a field site and submit the contract to the Internship Coordinator no later than the first day of class. Most sites require a background check and health clearance prior to starting. Additional information will be provided during the mandatory information session.
If you miss the request submission deadline, you may contact the Internship Coordinator to request your name be added to one of the wait lists for HDE 141, 142 or 143. To wait list for HDE 140/L, you may contact CCFS directly.
Ensure that your approved graduation plan is updated in OASIS well before request submission Google Forms go live before Pass 1. If you don’t have an approved graduation plan or if yours is outdated, draft a new plan in OASIS AND schedule an advising appointment with one of our academic advisors. You will not be placed if you do not have a current, approved HDE graduation plan in OASIS.
Schedule Appointment to Complete Graduation Plan:
If you need to create an updated graduation plan with a staff or peer advisor, visit http://appointments.ucdavis.edu/ or call (530) 752-1805 to schedule an appointment. If your appointment is with a peer advisor, a major advisor will review the plan after your appointment, adjust if necessary, and approve your graduation plan in OASIS.
Contact the internship coordinator, Rachael Crotty, by calling (530) 752-1321 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.