Human Development requires the completion of one 4 unit HDE practicum course. Each of the four offered practicums (HDE 140/140L, 141, 142 and 143) cover different age groups from infancy to elderly and are offered throughout the regular academic year in fall, winter and spring (not offered in summer). All practicums require an on-campus classroom discussion and field work (internship) hours at an approved site.
Enrolling in a practicum requires students to complete several steps:
- Have a recent and approved graduation plan in OASIS (within 1 year from the beginning of the requested practicum) – refer to “Important Notice” below for more details
- Submit a request for practicum via Google Form that will be *emailed to HDE listserv prior to Pass 1
- Be notified of placement in practicum
- Attend mandatory in-person information session
- Find and secure approved field site, complete background and health clearance, if required by field site
- Submit completed contract/paperwork to Internship Coordinator by deadline, receive CRN in return
- Register in Schedule Builder with CRN by deadline (first day of class)
*Detailed instructions and links will be emailed to the HDE listserv approximately one month and again one week prior to Pass 1. As always, only declared HDE juniors and seniors will be eligible to request placement (refer to HDE 143 for exception to being declared).
- HDE 140+HDE 140L involves working with infants, toddlers and preschool children at CCFS which is the UC Davis child development center located at 244 First St. (between A & B St.). This practicum requires 6-12 hours a week working with children at the center, and is offered all three quarters: fall, winter and spring. HDE 140 is letter graded and HDE 140L is graded P/NP.
HDE 140 must be taken concurrently with HDE 140L, because HDE 140 is the on-campus classroom component and HDE 140L is the on-campus lab (field site). Both CRNs will be given to placed students after the request/sign-up process is complete.
To request HDE 140 and HDE 140L, follow the instructions in the emails that are sent to the HDE listserv prior to the start of Pass 1 appointments. After submitting your request via Google Forms, you’ll be notified of your placement status (placed or wait listed). For placed students, you’ll be given further instructions to submit required forms and to confirm your lab time slot with CCFS staff at which time you’ll receive your CRNs. If you miss the request deadline, you may contact CCFS directly to request being added to the wait list.
- HDE 141 involves working with children in K-12th grades, and usually involves working in a school setting as a teacher’s assistant. This practicum has a mandatory weekly on-campus classroom component in addition to off-campus field work (internship), and is offered in fall and spring (smaller science teaching section offered in winter). Letter graded course.
*To request HDE 141, see below.
- HDE 142 involves working with emotionally distressed children and adolescents, typically in a 1st -12th grade setting. HDE 142 consists of a weekly on campus classroom discussion as well as an off-campus field site (internship). Field sites typically are in 1st –12th grade classroom settings or in programs working with at-risk youth. This practicum is offered in winter and is letter graded.
*To request HDE 142, see below.
- HDE 143 involves working with the elderly. HDE 143 consists of a weekly on campus classroom discussion as well as an off-campus field site (internship). Field sites typically are at senior living communities or in senior health settings. This practicum is offered every winter and is letter graded.
An exception to being declared in the HDE major may be available if space allows. If you are completing the Aging and Adult Development minor AND you’ve taken the pre-requisite class(es), you may submit a request to sign-up for this practicum by contacting the HDE Internship Coordinator directly. Placement is not guaranteed as priority must be given to declared HDE students.
*To request HDE 143, see below.
*To request HDE 141, HDE 142 and HDE 143, follow the instructions in the emails that are sent to the HDE listserv prior to the start of Pass 1 appointments. After submitting your request via Google Forms, you’ll be notified of your placement status (placed or wait listed). Placed students who receive a spot in this practicum must meet in person for a mandatory group information session where you’ll receive additional instructions and resources for finding and securing an appropriate field site. To receive the CRN and to finalize your registration in the practicum, you must secure a field site and submit the contract to the Internship Coordinator no later than the first day of class. Most sites require a background check and health clearance prior to starting. Additional information will be provided during the mandatory information session.
If you miss the request submission deadline, you may contact the Internship Coordinator to request your name be added to one of the wait lists for HDE 141, 142 or 143. To wait list for HDE 140/L, you may contact CCFS directly.
Ensure that your approved graduation plan is updated in OASIS well before request submission Google Forms go live before Pass 1. If you don’t have an approved graduation plan or if yours is outdated, draft a new plan in OASIS AND schedule an advising appointment with one of our academic staff or peer advisors OR attend walk-in advising. You will not be placed if you do not have a recent, approved HDE graduation plan in OASIS.
Schedule appointment to complete graduation plan:
If you need to create an updated graduation plan with a staff or peer advisor, visit http://appointments.ucdavis.edu/ or call (530) 752-1805 to schedule an appointment. If your appointment is with a peer advisor, a major advisor will review the plan after your appointment, adjust if necessary, and approve your graduation plan in OASIS. You may also attend walk-in advising on a first come, first served basis.