HDE Internship Units
HDE majors are required to complete a practicum, not an internship (HDE 192), prior to graduation. However, if you wish to also complete an HDE 192 internship, maximum of 4 units may be applied towards your restricted electives.
To qualify for HDE 192, you must be a declared HDE major in upper division standing, meaning you have completed a minimum of 90 college units. Junior transfers may have over 90 college units, but it is not recommended you complete an internship prior to your 3rd quarter at UC Davis.
- HDE 092: Students in lower division standing, completed less than 90 college units, will only be applied towards overall 180 graduation units and not towards any major-related units. P/NP grading only. Offered fall, winter, spring.
- HDE 192: Students in upper division standing, completed 90 or more college units, will be applied towards overall 180 graduation units AND can be used towards major requirements (maximum of 4.0 units can be applied towards HDE restricted elective units). P/NP grading only. Offered fall, winter, spring.
Academic and Hour Requirements:
- Reading and writing assignments as assigned by faculty sponsor
- 4.0 units requires 120 hours of internship
HDE Practicums: See HDE Practicum (HDE 140/140L, 141, 142, 143)
You must be officially declared in the HDE major, and the internship must:
- be located off campus (UCDHS sites qualify)
- directly relate to your major
- relate to your career interest
- provide you with new, professional-level transferable skills (no clerical - filing, re-organizing e-files, etc.; no basic, routine tasks such as handing out blankets at a shelter)
- be supervised by someone in the field with at least their Bachelor’s degree and appropriate certification/credentialing according to their field’s requirements
- allow 4.0 unit internship in fall, winter or spring
- be pre-approved by the HDE Internship Coordinator in 1303 Hart Hall prior to the quarter in which you plan to request units
Steps for Receiving Units
- Find internship (meet with internship coordinator in 1303 Hart if assistance is needed)
- Schedule appointment with internship coordinator via OASIS here or call (530) 752-1321 to schedule (if approved for units, obtain blank internship contract)
- Meet with internship supervisor and faculty sponsor (as assigned by internship coordinator) to complete contract
- Return completed contract to internship coordinator by 10th day of instruction during academic year (fall/winter/spring), and in exchange receive CRN (no appointment is necessary)
- Add course with CRN no later than 10th day of instruction (fall/winter/spring)
Resources for finding internships, jobs or volunteer opportunities
- HDE Internship Coordinator: Located in 1303 Hart Hall, (530) 752-1321, email@example.com , appointments.ucdavis.edu/
- Handshake: UC Davis ICC's internship and job search platform (replaced Aggie Job Link)
- Internship & Career Center (ICC): UC Davis ICC is located in South Hall, Contact the ICC
- Teacher Assistant Database: searchable database of teaching-related internships via the UC Davis ICC website
- Edjoin.org: find education-related jobs in California
- UEIJobs.com: Sacramento State managed employment site, but off-campus student positions are open to UC Davis students.
- Idealist.org: search for jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities
- Student Run Clinics and HRI for health-related internships
- UC Davis Internships Abroad
Contact the internship coordinator by calling (530) 752-1321.