HDE Internship Units
HDE majors are required to complete a practicum, not an internship (HDE 192), prior to graduation. However, if you wish to also complete an HDE 192 internship, up to 4 units may be applied towards your restricted electives.
To qualify for HDE 192, you must be in upper division standing, meaning you have completed a minimum of 90 college units. Junior transfers may have over 90 college units, but it is not recommended you complete an internship prior to your 3rd quarter at UC Davis.
- HDE 092: Students in lower division standing, completed less than 90 college units, will only be applied towards overall 180 graduation units and not towards any major-related units. P/NP grading only. Offered fall, winter, spring.
- HDE 192: Students in upper division standing, completed 90 or more college units, will be applied towards overall 180 graduation units AND can be used towards major requirements (up to 4.0 units can be applied towards HDE restricted elective units). P/NP grading only. Offered fall, winter, spring.
Hour and Academic Requirements: Reading and writing assignments will be required at faculty’s discretion.
Required Hours = Units
60 hours = 2.0 units
90 hours = 3.0 units
120 hours = 4.0 units
HDE Practicums: See HDE Practicum (HDE 140/140L, 141, 142, 143)
You must be officially declared in the HDE major, and the internship must:
- be located off campus (UCDHS sites qualify)
- directly relate to your major
- relate to your career interest
- provide you with new, professional-level transferable skills (no clerical - filing, re-organizing e-files, etc.; no basic, routine tasks such as handing out blankets at a shelter)
- be supervised by someone in the field with at least their Bachelor’s degree and appropriate certification/credentialing according to their field’s requirements
- allow you to work at least 60 hours in a quarter (to total 2 units) or more in fall, winter or spring (summer units are rare, but might be possible)
- be pre-approved by the HDE Internship Coordinator in 1303 Hart Hall prior to the quarter in which you plan to request units
Steps for Receiving Units
- Find internship (meet with internship coordinator in 1303 Hart if assistance is needed)
- Make an appointment here to meet with internship coordinator for approval, and if approved obtain blank internship contract
- Meet with internship supervisor and faculty sponsor (as assigned by internship coordinator) to complete contract
- Return completed contract to internship coordinator by 10th day of instruction during academic year or by 5th day of summer session, and in exchange receive CRN (no appointment is necessary)
- Add course with CRN no later than 10th day of academic quarter and 5th day of summer session
Resources for finding internships, jobs or volunteer opportunities
- HDE Internship Coordinator: Located in 1303 Hart Hall, (530) 752-1321, firstname.lastname@example.org , appointments.ucdavis.edu/
- Aggie Job Link: via the UC Davis ICC website
- Internship & Career Center (ICC): UC Davis ICC is located in South Hall, Contact the ICC
- Teacher Assistant Database: searchable database of teaching-related internships via the UC Davis ICC website
- UEIJobs.com: Sacramento State managed employment site, but off-campus student positions are open to UC Davis students.
- Idealist.org: search for jobs, internships, volunteer opportunities
- Student Run Clinics and HRI for health-related internships
- UC Davis Internships Abroad