UC Davis students who wish to change their major to Human Development must complete the following courses with a combined grade point average of at least 2.500.
All of the following courses must be taken for a letter grade:
- Psychology 1
- Statistics 10 or 13 or Psychology 41 or Sociology 46A and 46B
- One course from Anthropology 1, 2 or 15
- One course from Biological Sciences 2A, 10, 101; Microbiology 10; Molecular and Cellular Biology 10; or Neurobiology,
- Physiology, and Behavior 10, 12 or 101
Preparatory Subject Matter
- Anthropology (ANT 1, ANT 2, or ANT 15) Any 2 of the 3 (8-9 units)
- Biology (BIS 2A, BIS 10, MIC 10, or NCB 12) one (3-5 units
- Genetics (MCB 10 or Bio Sci 101*) one (4 units)
- History (HIS 17A, HIS 17B, HIS 72A, HIS 72B or POL 1) one (4 units)
- Philosophy (PHI 5, PHI 15, PHI 30, PHI 31, PHI 32, or PHI 38) Any 2 of the 5 (8 units)
- Physiology (NPB 10, NPB 101 or PSC 101) one (4-5 units)
- Psychology (PSC 1) (4 units)
- Statistics (STA 10, STA 13 or PSC 41 or SOC 46 A&B) one (4-5 units)
Depth Subject Matter
- Life-span Development and Family (HDE 100A, 100B, & 100C) ALL (12 units)
- Assessment (HDE 120) (4 units)
- Biological Processes (BIS 101*, NUT 111AY(AV), PSC 121, HDE 117) one (3-5 units)
- **Socio-cultural Processes (HDE 102, 110, 130, 160 or 162) one (4 units)
- **Cognitive Processes (HDE 101, 103, 132, 161 or 163) one (4 units)
- **Practicum (HDE 140 & 140L, or 141, 142, or 143) one (4 units)
- Restricted Electives (19-20 Units chosen in consultation with faculty advisor or from approved list of courses.)
*BIS 101 cannot be used to satisfy both the prep and depth matter requirements. ** At least ONE course from among these groupings (Socio-Cultural Processes, Cognitive Processes, and Practicum) must focus on childhood/ adolescence (HDE 101, 102, 103, 110, 130, 132) and ONE must focus on adulhood/aging (HDE 117, 143, 160, 161, 162, 163).
One year (3 quarters) of English (one course must be an upper division course at UC Davis or equivalent 4 year institution). Test given by Letters and Science not applicable.
Restricted Electives for Depth Subject Matter
Sample of Academic Plans to Complete HDE Major
PLEASE BE ADVISED: Attempting to complete the major in 3 years will require multiple quarters with heavy course loads. Only students especially capable and dedicated should attempt to complete the major in 3 years, with the recommendation of an academic advisor.
Your academic plan will differ depending on previous credit received, prerequisites taken for upper division restricted electives, your course schedule, and available offerings.
This is a sample academic plan for students who would like to complete Human Development major in 4 years. Your academic plan will differ depending on previous credit received, prerequisites taken for upper division restricted electives, your course schedule, and available offerings.